[darwinbuild] Roots

Shantonu Sen ssen at opendarwin.org
Thu Oct 6 07:34:35 PDT 2005

Yes, prepend your URL to the "binary_sites" key for the plist you're
using.

         binary_sites = (
		"http://my/cool/site/Roots/8A428",
                 "http://darwinsource.opendarwin.org/Roots/8A428",
         );

.tar.gz is all that's supported right now. The main problem with
supporting multiple archive formats is the network latency of
checking 3x as many URLs, combined with validating if a .tar.bz2 is
"newer" than the .tar.gz on the web server, and prefering it, or vice
versa. Only dealing with one archive format means we only need to
resolve "newness" between the darwinbuild cache in /usr/local/share/
darwinbuild/cache and self-built roots in Roots/, and we have full
timestamp information.

The first step for better root support is really supporting checksums
in a better way, so we can tell if our local cache is stale. Then
we'd need ways of prioritizing between multiple archive types,
possibly using the mod times already sent in HTTP HEAD requests.

Shantonu