[darwinbuild] its re compiling every .c file after failure

Kevin Van Vechten kevin at opendarwin.org
Thu May 25 10:01:55 PDT 2006

On May 24, 2006, at 4:52 AM, don bright wrote:

> Im trying to build smb on 8G32. It failed near the end
> with something about Kerberos.h not being found. I
> tried to download kerberos to see if that would help.
> However, when I typed 'darwinbuild smb' again, it
> apparently re-untarred and ungzipped the source code,
> and proceeded to recompile every last .c file, even
> though most of the .o files had already been built.
>
> FYI my system is 8I127 but the newest plist at
> darwinbuild is 8G32.
>
> Am i missing something here? Thanks.

This is intentional.  When Apple builds projects using its internal
build system, projects are always built completely, and never
incrementally.  DarwinBuild's goal is to emulate Apple's internal
build system, so it has the same behavior.

Some projects can't be built incrementally (easily anyway).  Some
projects can.  DarwinBuild is forced to cater to the lowest common
denominator.  That being said, if the project you're working on
supports incremental builds (you'll have to determine this
experimentally) you might be able to execute the build script
directly.  Normally DarwinBuild creates new build directories, but if
you invoke the script directly you'll bypass that stage, and possibly
be able to leverage the existing contents of those directories for an
incremental build.

# chroot BuildRoot
# ./private/var/tmp/smb/build-smb-...sh

- Kevin