[darwinbuild-dev] A very fundamental query

Atriya Sen atriyasen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 01:41:48 PDT 2008

I am a Linux systems programmer of some experience. I recently
purchased a MacBook Pro, and was impressed by the stability and
reliability of the Mac OS X operating system. However, I'm a very open
source person, so my attention shifted to Mac OS' open source core -
Darwin. However, it seems that the effort to create a standalone
Darwin OS, called the openDarwin project, was abandoned years ago. My
questions are:

1) Is it possible to build a complete Darwin system from scratch i.e.
from the source code of Darwin 9 provided by Apple? By complete I mean
kernel, shell, all basic libraries and a GUI (I prefer GNOME).

2) From the perspective of a systems developer, what are the
differences between Darwin and FreeBSD? Has anyone ever written a
comparison? Will all Darwin systems programs work on FreeBSD (and vice-
versa)?

Sorry if these questions seem naive. I'm a newcomer to the Mac world,
and couldn't find any clear answers on the internet even after hours
of searching.

Thanks,
Atriya