[darwinbuild-dev] Extension loading issue

websrvr websrvr at macftphttp.serverbox.org
Mon Aug 24 07:24:21 PDT 2009

I'm hoping someone can help me with an loading issue.

I have 2 extensions and manually loading from the Desktop is fine
however adding them to the Extensions directory seems to be an issue
because one of the extensions loads too early.

The first extensions must load after the AirPortBrcm4311.kext so that
it can alter it's behavior to allow the Airport card to act as a dual-
band 11n access point and the second must load after the first to
allow it to communicate with the pref pane.

I can reduce this all to a single extension however during
development it's easier to have separation/isolation.

Currently the AirPort software only makes a 54G access point and with
80 machines connecting it starts to slow down, increasing it to 11n
seems to fix this issue (at least with 80 machines) and since all the
MacBook Pro's and other Mac Pro's connecting support the speed it
makes sense to up the access-point speed.

Does anyone have any example code that shows how to get the extension
to load after another kext is loaded?

The method used I don't believe is critical as long as it can see
that the AirPortBrcm43xx class exists or the extension is loaded?

websrvr