[darwinbuild-dev] Building AppleFan.kext

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Sun Feb 15 12:18:51 PST 2009

On Feb 14, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 13 Feb 2009, at 14:18, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>
>> xcodebuild: Error: the directory /SourceCache/AppleFan/
>> AppleFan-110.3.1 does not contain an Xcode project.
>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>> ++++++++++++
>> BUILD TIME: 0h 0m 0s
>> EXIT STATUS: 1
>>

>> I'm building on a case-sensitive HFS+ image (created using the
>> commands in the README), on a 10.5.6 PPC Mac with Xcode 3.0
>> installed (regardless of the above, should I install 3.1.x before
>> compiling 10.5.6 projects?). The error appears to be correct: the
>> AppleFan package contains a Project Builder project rather than an
>> Xcode project.
>
> Converting the project to an .xcodeproj file doesn't help,
> presumably because of the "(Failure building Xcode projects in the
> chroot environment is a known issue.)"-bug.

Yes, this is due to using a chroot on HFS. You can work around it by
using a UFS disk image.  The README needs to be updated to reflect this.

> Building with -nochroot however failed because it couldn't find
> "IOI2CDevice.h", which after some googling turned out to be part of
> the AppleHWSensor project.
>
> Building that one failed because it required a private header in
> IOKit/pwr_mgt/. Googling about that turned up http://www.puredarwin.org/developers/darwinbuild/troubleshooting#TOC-system_cmds
> , which suggests installing IOKitUser first.
>
> That one failed because it could not find iokitmig64.c. And googling
> about this error suggested building xnu (http://darwinbuild.macosforge.org/trac/ticket/17
> ).
>
> So that's what I'm doing now :)

The rest of this is pretty much expected.   However, if darwinbuild
did not automatically try to load a pre-built root for AppleHWSensor
when you tried to build AppleFan, then thats a bug and you should file
a ticket for it.

Thanks
-Bill