[darwinbuild-dev] Building AppleFan.kext

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Feb 18 14:15:55 PST 2009

On 18 Feb 2009, at 22:46, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 18 Feb 2009, at 22:17, William Siegrist wrote:
>
>> On Feb 13, 2009, at 5:18 AM, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to build 10.5.6's AppleFan.kext, but it's failing as
>>> follows:
>>>
>> Okay, so I added some new roots and updated the dependencies, so
>> this should now work for you. You should update your darwinbuild
>> source to latest trunk and make clean, make, make install. Then
>> start again from the beginning:
>>
>> 1. mkdir /Volumes/dbufs/AppleFan
>> 2. cd /Volumes/dbufs/AppleFan
>> 3. darwinbuild -init 9G55
>> 4. darwinbuild AppleFan
>
> Thanks a lot, I'm trying it right now!

That worked perfectly, thanks!!

But... I just had the splendid idea to check which drivers were
actually used control the fans on my machine, and kextstat does not
list AppleFan at all :/ (I started with that one because of the
obvious name, and because I had found several posts of people
modifying the parameters in its Info.plist to change the behaviour
G5's fans -- but I guess they had different models).

Kextstat does list AppleFCU (Fan Control Unit, but not open source)
and AppleK2Fan (which is a fixed-speed fan for some chipset, i.e.,
probably unrelated to my problem, and not open source either). Other
loaded, related kexts are AppleAD741x and AppleLM7x (no idea what they
are exactly for, but both provide PPCI2CInterface, which is the class
listed by ioreg as being in control of all fans), but both are closed
source as well.

So it seems that, while a good way to get acquainted with darwinbuild
and how to fix some build problems, AppleFan won't actually help with
my problem (I'm still going to check tomorrow, though). AppleHWSensor
is however also used according to kextstate, so maybe I can still do
something there...

Jonas