[darwinbuild-dev] Build System Changes

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Thu Oct 29 11:33:38 PDT 2009

Just a heads up... I am switching the build system from make to Xcode. This is being done to make it easier for me to maintain the code in a way that works for both Apple and the public at the same time. Once I commit the changes, I will update the installation instructions, but it should boil down to replacing "make && make install" with "xcodebuild install".  The makefiles will remain in place for the time being and should continue to work for the most part. If you are interested in seeing darwinbuild work on non-Mac platforms, I'll accept patches to keep the Makefiles up to date.

Also, I will be creating branches for Tiger and Leopard that start with the last working revision. This should help people find the latest bits for "old" versions of the OS. I may backport critical changes to them, but mostly they will be static (and remain Makefile based). As usual I will take patches to keep them up to date. The primary focus will remain on trunk with the latest OS.

If you use MacPorts to install darwinbuild, the changes above will eventually get synced with the port, but that won't happen till next week probably.

Thanks
-Bill