[darwinbuild-dev] Startup problem

David Lee david.lee at vicom.com
Wed May 4 15:27:45 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I have downloaded DarwinBuild with the intention to use it to build my own copy of the 10.6 kernel.  I believe this will help me to be more effective at debugging my own driver and user-client code.  I am experiencing a problem getting started.  I downloaded and installed DarwinBuild (after first downloading and installing MacPorts).  I did fine (as far as I could tell) until I got to the point of actually trying to build a kernel.  DarwinBuild is installed in /opt/local/bin/.  I prepared /root/xnu/ to be my build directory as shown:

MacBook-Pro:xnu root# ls
.build		BuildRoot	Headers		Logs		Roots		Sources		Symbols

I moved the kernel sources that I had downloaded previously from http://www.opensource.apple.com/ to a directory under the Sources directory as shown:

MacBook-Pro:xnu root# ls sources
xnu-1504.9.26

When I tried to start the build, the following occurred:

MacBook-Pro:xnu root# /opt/local/bin/darwinbuild xnu
*** Attaching build root disk image ...
/dev/disk1          	GUID_partition_scheme
/dev/disk1s1        	EFI
/dev/disk1s2        	Apple_HFS                      	/Volumes/BuildRoot_xnu_20110504142913
ERROR: project not found: xnu

Would somebody please tell me what I've done wrong?  Thanks.

David Lee