[darwinbuild-dev] Corrupt 8G1165 Binary Roots?

Daiyu Hurst daiyu.hurst at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 08:56:14 PST 2012

Hi,

Well the subject isn't right, the roots aren't corrupt. But taking for
example cctools

http://src.macosforge.org/Roots/8G1165/cctools.root.tar.gz

none of the (fat) executables will run on Darwin 8.0.1(x86); trying to do so
results variously in

bus error
illegal instruction
Bad executable (or shared library)

I did check a few of them with otool to see what libraries they call for,
and those are in place as they should be.

The issue seems to be with the i386 portion of the fat runfiles; the PPC
portions work fine on a G3 iMac running OSX 10.4.11.

I'm trying to put together a Darwin 8.11.1 system; I'm content to use all
binary roots to do so. And, I'm trying to do what I can with zero capital
and oodles of free time.

I'm still pretty new at this (post-68k era MacOS stuff), so any clues would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-daiyu