[launchd-dev] Re: [launchd-changes] [22881] trunk/launchd/src

Dave Zarzycki zarzycki at apple.com
Mon Sep 25 09:42:39 PDT 2006

On Sep 24, 2006, at 2:51 PM, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:

> I thought the Mach goo was starting to be separated out into its own
> gooey file? :)
>
> You mention it being more work to keep the artificial division, but
> I though the "division" was one of the goals of making launchd
> "more" open source? To allow for (namely me :P) the community to
> start adapting launchd to other non-Mach (and thus no wonderful MIG)
> systems, like FreeBSD. From my understanding _unix_ipc.c and
> _mach_ipc.c weren't too "relevant" in terms of offering different
> IPC implementations, but I was under the impression that further
> down the line I would be throwing pure unix sockets (or otherwise)
> IPC into the former for FreeBSD/OpenBSD/etc while the majority of
> launchd IPC on Darwin remained tied to Mach ports?

Hmm…

I'm trying to keep the layering within the launchd project as clean as
possible. Really, I am. :-P

What that means is that I'm not going to gratuitously use the wrong
technology for dogmatic reasons. Sometimes Mach provides a better API/
tool. Sometimes Unix does. I don't wish to preclude porting, but I've
got a job to do too. This is one of the reasons why launchd tries to
keep itself at the system-call boundary as much as possible.

I'm going to try and keep the Unix IPC alive, but you may find some of
it disabled in the future with C-preprocess macros. I'll need you or
someone else in the community to test/use it and keep that code
functional. :-(

Like I said, I've got a job to do. I'm happy to work with you at
integrating any code that makes launchd portable.

Cheers,

davez