[launchd-dev] UserName ignored on per-user LaunchAgents

Nathan Duran launchd at khiltd.com
Sun Dec 16 19:00:26 PST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007, at 9:51 AM, Quinn wrote:

> At 9:31 -0800 5/12/07, Nathan Duran wrote:
>> I'm afraid I don't understand what is meant by the term "external
>> form" here. Are you suggesting that the authorization API be used
>> to prevent rogue applications from utilizing the IPC services
>> vended by the daemon?
>
> For a concrete illustration of this, check out the recently released
> BetterAuthorizationSample.
>
> <http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/BetterAuthorizationSample/index.html
> >

> Share and Enjoy

I finally had a chance to sit down and look over this, and while I
think it may be a great approach for an application which needs to
perform certain tasks as root on an ongoing basis, I don't think it's
a privileged operations panacea, however secure it may be.

In particular, it strikes me as overkill to litter /Library and /var
with support files and dance around with complicated launchd IPC
maneuvers at times when all I need to do is create a keychain item or
install a trusted root certificate as part of a larger software
installation. Things like this are usually run once before they're
thrown away, and since something's going to have to ask for permission
to write all those root-owned plists out anyway, might as well get it
over with right then and there the old fashioned AEWP/setuid way.

Cool stuff, but I unfortunately can't replace any of the helper tools
I've got with it. The asl_log() thing sounds interesting, though. What
list should I complain about the lack of documentation/evangelization
for that on? I didn't even know it existed.