[launchd-dev] launchd support ranges for StartCalendarInterval?

Richard Glaser richard at scl.utah.edu
Wed Apr 9 18:01:02 PDT 2008

Hello Dave:

Emailed this answer in the past and I was wondering if he or someone
else would be willing to email out a example for a range of hours by
having StartCalendarInterval be an array of  dictionaries instead of
just a dictionary...

Would it be something like this.?

<key>StartCalendarInterval</key>
	<array>
		<key>Hour</key>
		<integer>4</integer>
		<key>Minute</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>Weekday</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
	</array>
	<array>
		<key>Hour</key>
		<integer>5</integer>
		<key>Minute</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>Weekday</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
	</array>

For every range of hours?

> Yes, you can do this. Have StartCalendarInterval be an array of
> dictionaries instead of just a dictionary within the configuration
> file. Having said that, it would be nice if launchd natively supported
> some of the common calendar expressions such as
> {first,second,third,forth,last,second-to-last}
> {mon,tue,wed,thr,fri,sat,sun}. Doing so would save people the trouble
> of figuring out the ranges.
>
> Feel free to file an enhancement request,
>
> davez
>
> P.S. -- I've occasionally wanted, just for giggles, to have launchd to
> support other time intervals such as "only during leap years" or the
> ability to schedule jobs based on the phase of the moon, or the
> solstices/equinoxes. I've even considered adding planetary alignment
> to the schema. :-P

Thanks:

Richard Glaser
University of Utah - Student Computing Labs
richard at scl.utah.edu
801-585-8016