[launchd-dev] GUI Agent issue under Tiger

Peter Alshuth palshuth at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 11:17:44 PDT 2008

Hi all,
I have a setup with (user) agents that are communicating with one daemon.
Everything works well under 10.5 but if I run it under Tiger I got all the
problems:

I have a warning/password box in my agent  (running as a background program
with a "limited UI" for each user). I can click at a button but I cannot
type anything in the password field under Tiger (works fine in Leopard). I
read something about a login/logout hook for 10.3 or 10.4 but I thought this
is not needed if I support only 10.4 and up. Apparently, my agents are not
running under a GUI per-session bootstrap in 10.4 any more. How can I
resolve this problem? I really don't want to use a different solution for
10.4 and creating another background task that will launch my UI agent (and
the question here is how to deal with the bootstrap context). Is there any
special flag in the plist file (like the aqua session keyword for 10.5) that
I have to use for 10.4 only? The TN2083 points our that the global window
server can be reached if the agent UID matches the console user, but if I
stop and start the agent (with launchctl un/load myplistfile) all other
launches will not allow the app from connecting to the window server any
more.

Again, all the problems I have are under Tiger 10.4.11 and not Leopard.

Thanks for any help,
Peter