[launchd-dev] Global Login Items

Jeremy Reichman jaharmi at jaharmi.com
Thu Feb 21 07:29:07 PST 2008

I realize this is not specifically related to launchd but I was reading
Technote 2083 about the following:

"Global Login Item
A global login item is a login item that is launched when any user logs in.
Installing a global login item is roughly equivalent to installing that
login item for all users on the system: every time a user logs in,
loginwindow launches that user's login items and all global login items.

In Mac OS X 10.5 and later you can install a global login item using the
shared file lists interface to Launch Services."

Questions:

A) is there a better list to ask about this?

B) can these be installed/managed the way normal login items are, via a
plist (loginwindow.plist contains login items in the User Domain) in the
Local Domain along with supplying the executables it points to?

C) how is this support different in 10.5 vs. the editing of
/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist, which has been possible in the past?

I ask because I have specific needs for Global Login Items (i.e. items run
in the user context at login time, often with a GUI, in contrast to
LaunchAgents -- which don't work in Tiger -- and the LoginHook). Up until
this point, it has been something of a workaround to run them (especially
lacking MCX and a directory service), although it could be done. For
example:

<http://macenterprise.org/content/view/105/77/>

Thanks!

--