[launchd-dev] Stray Proccess Log message

Geoff Franks gfranks at hwi.buffalo.edu
Thu Feb 21 12:52:04 PST 2008

I have a previously-cronned job that I'm moving to launchd on my new 10.5
server. It runs every 10 minutes, and causes the following entry to show up
in the syslog:

Feb 21 15:43:45 server1 com.apple.launchd[1]
(edu.buffalo.hwi.raidutil[43977]): Stray process with PGID equal to this
dead job: PID 43983 PPID 1 sendmail

The script the launchd job runs calls sendmail a the end of it, so my guess
is that the script finishes, while sendmail is still running, and then
launchd has to clean up after the script exits, so tries to kill the
sendmail process. However, my emails are all going through and seemingly
working properly. Additionally, I specified the AbandonProccessGrop  <true/>
key in the plist so it wouldn't try cleaning up the other processes spawned.
Shouldn't this take care of the log message?

Geoff Franks
Sr. Systems Administrator
Hauptman Woodward Institute