[launchd-dev] Stray Proccess Log message

Nathan Duran launchd at khiltd.com
Thu Feb 21 15:59:48 PST 2008

On Feb 21, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Geoff Franks wrote:

> Feb 21 15:43:45 server1 com.apple.launchd[1]
> (edu.buffalo.hwi.raidutil[43977]): Stray process with PGID equal to
> this
> dead job: PID 43983 PPID 1 sendmail

NetAuthAgent and something mysteriously called "Locum" die this exact
same way constantly on 10.5.2, usually right before LAN traffic grinds
to a halt for no apparent reason. Looking at the chunk of code that
prints these messages I've never been able to figure out *exactly*
what set of conditions precipitates them (I have an idea, but that
idea doesn't always match what I see going on), but they happen a lot,
even with shipping Apple code. So often that I'd be in favor of a more
verbose error message if such an idea were ever kicked around the
office.