[launchd-dev] Agent started two different was, two different bootstraps?

James Bucanek subscriber at gloaming.com
Fri Jan 25 10:38:26 PST 2008

Hello again,

I've got a persistent oddity. I have a drag-install application
that automatically installs a couple of launch agents with
configuration plists (in ~/Library/LaunchAgents/). The processes
and my GUI Cocoa application all communicate using distributed
objects via Mach ports.

When the agents get installed the first time, I kick-start them
using 'launchctl load ...'. The problem is this: The two launch
agents are installed and started using launchctl load (running
launchctl as the regular user). The Cocoa application then
starts a helper process (using NSTask) which registers a named
Mach port.

Now at this point, I would think that all four processes should
be running in the Auqa bootstrap (the Cocoa application, the
agent, and the helper process). But the agent can't see/connect
with the Mach port registered by the helper process. The
application can see it, connect to it, and does its thing. But
when one of the agents attempts to connect with the same helper
process, they get an error.

Here's the oddity: If I restart the computer things appear to
work correctly. When they agents are started automatically as
part of the user's login procedure, they all communicate with
each other just fine.

Am I loading the agents incorrectly?

Is this a known problem, or do I have to try to develop a
reproducible case and file a bug report?