[launchd-dev] Launch on demand from kernel extension?

Colin nospam4methnku at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 23 13:28:51 PDT 2008

Hello,

I have an OS X kernel extension that has settings that need to be
saved and restored (the settings are not per-user).  Since a kernel
extension cannot read/write a preference file, I have a helper daemon
that interfaces with my kext and handles the reading/writing of the
preference file.  I have recently converted over from using
StartupItems to using launchd to launch my helper daemon at startup.

Is it possible, using launchd, to have my kernel extension launch the
helper daemon on demand?  If so, what is the best way to implement
this?  I need to support OS X 10.4.11 and above.

cheers,

colin