[launchd-dev] Documentation Suggestion

Levi Brown levi at grokers.net
Tue Mar 4 14:36:38 PST 2008

Hello all,

Reading the man entry for launchd.plist I read this:

StartInterval <integer>
     This optional key causes the job to be started every N seconds.
If the
     system is asleep, the job will be started the next time the
computer
     wakes up.  If multiple intervals transpire before the computer is
woken,
     those events will be coalesced into one event upon wake from sleep.

Which, if I may suggest so, could be improved to be less ambiguous.
Specifically, this does not tell the reader if the job will be started
every N seconds, if it is already running or not.  Through
experimentation I was able to discover that if the job is presently
running when the interval expires, no new job will be initiated, and
no queuing effect will occur either.  This happens to be the behavior /
I/ wanted for my purposes, but the documentation is not clear on this
matter and there is no mention of a way to allow spawning of multiple
jobs should the intervals overlap, etc.

Also:

     LimitLoadToSessionType <string>
     This configuration file only applies to sessions of the type
specified.
     This key is used in concert with the -S flag to launchctl.

Again, through experimentation, I found that the presence of this key
would cause launchctl to "not find" the job described in the plist
unless the -S flag was specified, which one might consider implied by
the documentation, however there is no mention of the treatment of
jobs configured with this key on startup.  Will it be loaded, or will
it be "not found" until some config is changed?

Thanks for listening,

Levi