[launchd-dev] My Launch Agent is Persisting Beyond Logout

Mac QA macqaguy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 14:14:23 PDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Nathan Duran <launchd at khiltd.com> wrote:
>  On Mar 13, 2008, at 1:03 PM, Mac QA wrote:
>
>  > Doesn't it seem wrong for launchd to be
>  > RE-launching an app for a user that is no longer logged in.
>
>  Fast User Switching does not log anybody out. That's why it's "fast."

Right. The second and third users were logged in with fast user
switching. And then logged out by selecting logout from the Apple
menu. Leaving only one user logged in. Yet the launch agent processes
for users two and three were still running as viewed from the Activity
Monitor in user one. And when using the Activity Monitor to force quit
the launch agents from user two and three launchd automatically
relaunches them even though user two and three are no longer logged
in. I realize its MY fault that my launch agent doesn't get terminated
on logout, and that I need to respond to this Unix signal thing. But
it would also seem that there is a problem with launchd if it is
re-launching user agents for users that are not logged in to the
system.