[launchd-dev] OnDemand USB Software

Mike Fischer mike_fischer at mac.com
Mon Mar 17 15:23:13 PDT 2008

Hi!

I'm trying to evaluate if it is feasable to have an on-demand daemon
depend on the presence of a certain usb device. I.e. I'd like the
daemon to launch when the USB-device is plugged in.

So far, looking at tn2083 and the man pages, I don't see any way to
have a depency on USB or IOKit in general. Am I missing something here?

If there is no direct support would it make sense to have a very
small, lightweight daemon always running that registers for IOKit
IOServiceAddMatchingNotification notifications and creates a
semaphore file that can be used to trigger the launch of the real
daemon for example?

BTW: This would be mainly for Leopard, although Tiger would be
interesting too.

Thanks!
Mike
--
Mike Fischer         Softwareentwicklung, EDV-Beratung
                                     Schulung, Vertrieb