[launchd-dev] Diagnosing launchd daemon failure to launch

Ned Hogan nedly at mac.com
Fri Nov 7 07:13:07 PST 2008

I am confused, I thought the purpose of setting the sticky bit on /var/
tmp was so you could count on your files being persistent there? What
comes along and cleans out this directory?

This is not to say your suggestion to to move to /var/run is not
valid, but the code I inherited uses /var/tmp based on the security
concerns at the time.

The daemon, now best described as a LaunchAgent on Leopard that is in
production I want to move to the launchd model from it's current
StartupItems implementation. However I am not quite clear on how to
let the domain socket listener know that I have been killed and
restarted, is it my job to kill off the listener and restart, or could
I create another another launchd task to watch for the creation of a
new domain socket and would cause the listener to reconnect? For
security reasons you do want to create a new domain socket, right?

In testing I have also noticed that I can loop when launched, how
would I set a limit or a backoff with a runaway launchd process?

Ned Hogan
MacCruzIn Enterprises, Inc.
Apple Certified System Administrator
XSAN/Open Directory Certified