[launchd-dev] Phantom Plist

Charles Darwin DarwinsKernel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 10:53:53 PDT 2008

On 20-Oct-08, at 1:20 PM, Damien Sorresso wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2008, at 9:33 AM, Charles Darwin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a launcd running on my system (as root) but I cannot find it.
>> It launches a local afp share point using `mount_afp`. I have run
>> `launchctl list` for all users, including the root user, and they all
>> return blank (except the root user, see below). I have found the
>> script that it uses for launching the share point but I cannot find
>> the plist file that feeds the launchd.
>>
>> $ sudo ls /Library/Launch* && ls /Users/*/Library/Launch* && ls /
>> System/Library/Launch*
>
> If you know where the script for the job is located, you should
> grep the relevant directories for that path. If no plist is
> resident on-disk pointing to that job, someone is dynamically
> creating the job. This is possible through `launchctl submit` or
> through the use of undocumented APIs.
>
> In any case, without knowing the job's label, it's hard for me to
> do much more beyond speculate as to what's happening.
> --
> Damien Sorresso
> BSD Engineering
> Apple Inc.

I myself created the job. I know the label. But then I ran the job as
root which mounted the afp with wrong permissions in a sense that now
staff users don't have the intended permissions to work with the
files and directories on the afp server. `locate` by the way returns
nothing (and I just updated its database)

$ locate com.pm.mount_tutorials
$

so I really don't know where to look into for the plist file.

Charles