[launchd-dev] LaunchAgents & Parental Controls

Peter Alshuth palshuth at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 06:09:55 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I discovered an issue that my agent (a background Cocoa app) is not
getting launched (from /Library/LaunchAgents/) when parental controls
(Leopard) are active for a specific user account.
Is this limited only to carbon/cocoa apps that they have to be in the
list of allowed apps or can I set some kind of flags in order to have
launchd launched my agent successfully?

Unfortunately, I don't have the app stored inside the user's folder or
the application directory, so the parental control panel doesn't list
it automatically to offer it. Any kind of non-standard solution
available, like editing a settings files (which one?) by a script
while my installer creating all the daemon and agent related files? I
really don't want to tell my end users to go into the parental control
panel for each person's account and adding my agent app.

I thought that the plist file permission for the launch agents has to
be 'root/whell -rw-r--r--' permission set in order to get handled
correctly. That would mean that no non-admin users can change its
description in order to bypass e.g. the parental control settings. It
makes no sense for me why a launch agent app needs to be on the
parental control list in this case.

Thanks for any help,
Peter