[launchd-dev] launchd on freebsd

R. Tyler Ballance tyler at monkeypox.org
Wed Sep 24 21:42:23 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 12:38 -0700, Tsvetomir Dimitrov wrote:
> Please excuse my last reply. I was a bit sleepy and missed the expat
> part. We can use libxml2 (http://xmlsoft.org/). It can parse a XML
> file to tree and some other functionality which we may or may not use.
> ezXML (http://ezxml.sourceforge.net/) is also a solution. It's smaller
> and simpler than libxml.

For licensing and "ease of use" reasons, I'd use expat, which can be
accessed via
"libbsdxml" (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=libbsdxml&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+7.0-RELEASE&format=html )

Basically for phk@ to incorporate GEOM at the level he wanted to in
FreeBSD, they brought expat lower into the base distribution meaning
it's probably a better choice for launchd(8) given the core-nature of
the daemon to the OS.

libbsdxml means we've one less thing to fuss about in terms of packaging
and incorporating with the distribution.

> I think libxml2 is better choice. I'm not sure however if ezXML won't
> perform better because its smaller. What do you think about this? Also
> do you know if the lib should have BSD license in order to be included
> in the FreeBSD's base?

I should be available more this weekend, open source hacking is not a
possibility during the week, so I'll throw the Git repository and some
tests up saturday or sunday :)