[launchd-dev] launchd & mDNSResponder: "Policy denied Mach service lookup"

Björn Giesler bjoern at giesler.de
Sat Aug 1 23:38:16 PDT 2009

Hi,

I've recently migrated to a new MacBook Pro, and since that migration,
found that Bonjour no longer worked, and indeed that all applications
that used Bonjour just hang. I've traced this to what looks like a
problem in the interaction of mDNSResponder and launchd; the log
messages I get are lots of

com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mDNSResponder[2551]): Policy denied
Mach service lookup: com.apple.distributed_notifications.2

etc.etc. with different services.

I don't yet quite understand how launchd and launched processes
interact. Why is launchd responsible for service lookups for other
applications? Where are policies stored? etc. The manpage says nothing
about this.

I've tried looking for the above message in the launchd code and found
it in launchd_core_logic.c in the SULeopard branch, which introduces
the mspolicy_* functions, but I'm afraid I can't make much sense of
it. I'll try to compile my own launchd and step through it, but it
would be nice if somebody could push me in the right direction. (Is
there even some documentation on this?) As a Unix rc guy, launchd is a
twisty maze of passages, all alike...

Thanks in advance & Regards,
Björn