[launchd-dev] Mac OS-X 10.5 and "two icons bouncing in the dock" problem

Quinn eskimo1 at apple.com
Mon Aug 17 00:46:38 PDT 2009

At 23:21 +0200 14/8/09, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
>Damien, yes, this looks fishy, and I eliminated the fork completely already.
>Unfortunately, it doesn't change its behavior.

Either you didn't eliminate the fork, or there is more than one fork
happening and you've only eliminated one of them.  The symptom you're
seeing (two icons in the dock) only occurs when two different
processes both check in to the application-level process management
system.

In situations like this I find the following DTrace script to be
useful.  It shows you exactly which processes get launched, with
enough information to work out their parent/child relationships.

IMPORTANT: Sort the output by the timestamp.  On multi-core machines,
DTrace can report things out of order.

S+E
--
Quinn "The Eskimo!"                    <http://www.apple.com/developer/>
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

#! /usr/sbin/dtrace -q -s

/*
     File:       QProcSnoop.d

     Contains:   Logs process start and stop.

     Written by: DTS

     Copyright:  Copyright (c) 2008 Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.

     Disclaimer: IMPORTANT: This Apple software is supplied to you by Apple Inc.
                 ("Apple") in consideration of your agreement to the following
                 terms, and your use, installation, modification or
                 redistribution of this Apple software constitutes acceptance of
                 these terms.  If you do not agree with these terms, please do
                 not use, install, modify or redistribute this Apple software.

                 In consideration of your agreement to abide by the following
                 terms, and subject to these terms, Apple grants you a personal,
                 non-exclusive license, under Apple's copyrights in this
                 original Apple software (the "Apple Software"), to use,
                 reproduce, modify and redistribute the Apple Software, with or
                 without modifications, in source and/or binary forms; provided
                 that if you redistribute the Apple Software in its entirety and
                 without modifications, you must retain this notice and the
                 following text and disclaimers in all such redistributions of
                 the Apple Software. Neither the name, trademarks, service marks
                 or logos of Apple Inc. may be used to endorse or promote
                 products derived from the Apple Software without specific prior
                 written permission from Apple.  Except as expressly stated in
                 this notice, no other rights or licenses, express or implied,
                 are granted by Apple herein, including but not limited to any
                 patent rights that may be infringed by your derivative works or
                 by other works in which the Apple Software may be incorporated.

                 The Apple Software is provided by Apple on an "AS IS" basis.
                 APPLE MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
                 WITHOUT LIMITATION THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF NON-INFRINGEMENT,
                 MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, REGARDING
                 THE APPLE SOFTWARE OR ITS USE AND OPERATION ALONE OR IN
                 COMBINATION WITH YOUR PRODUCTS.

                 IN NO EVENT SHALL APPLE BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT,
                 INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
                 TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
                 DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) ARISING IN ANY WAY
                 OUT OF THE USE, REPRODUCTION, MODIFICATION AND/OR DISTRIBUTION
                 OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE, HOWEVER CAUSED AND WHETHER UNDER THEORY
                 OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY OR
                 OTHERWISE, EVEN IF APPLE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
                 SUCH DAMAGE.

*/

/*  IMPORTANT: To get an accurate timeline of events, you must sort the output
     of this script by the leading timestamp.  Without this some event will be
     displayed out of order on machines with more than one core (due to the way
     DTrace is implemented within the kernel).
*/

/* ***** fork/vfork/spawn ***** */

/* Check for the successful case. */

proc:::create
{
     printf("%u %20s %5d fork %d\n", timestamp, execname, pid, args[0]->pr_pid);
}

/* Check for the unsuccessful case. */

syscall::fork:return,
syscall::vfork:return,
syscall::posix_spawn:return
/ arg0 < 0 /
{
     printf("%u %20s %5d %s FAILED %d\n", timestamp, execname, pid,
probefunc, errno);
}

/* ***** exec ***** */

/* This is a pretty standard sequence for capture execs that allows us
    to show the old and new names of the process.
*/

proc:::exec
{
     self->oldName = execname;
     self->newName = args[0];
}

proc:::exec-success
/ self->oldName != 0 /
{
     printf("%u %20s %5d exec %s\n", timestamp, self->oldName, pid,
self->newName);
     self->oldName = 0;
     self->newName = 0;
}

proc:::exec-failure
/ self->oldName != 0 /
{
     printf("%u %20s %5d exec %s FAILED %d\n", timestamp,
self->oldName, pid, self->newName, arg0);
     self->oldName = 0;
     self->newName = 0;
}

/* ***** exit ***** */

/* proc_exit doesn't get the exit status as an argument (it's argument is
    always CLD_EXITED == 1 on Mac OS X).  So we capture the exit status by
    watching for the process calling exit.  We communicate that to the
    proc_exit by way of gExitStatus.  This ensures that we only print a
    single line of exit information.  We need gExitStatusValid because
    an exit status of 0 is valid.
*/

int gExitStatusValid[int];
int gExitStatus[int];

syscall::exit:entry
{
     gExitStatusValid[pid] = 1;
     gExitStatus[pid] = arg0;
}

proc:::exit
/ gExitStatusValid[pid] == 0 /
{
     printf("%u %20s %5d exit ?\n", timestamp, execname, pid);
}

proc:::exit
/ gExitStatusValid[pid] != 0 /
{
     printf("%u %20s %5d exit %d\n", timestamp, execname, pid,
gExitStatus[pid]);
     gExitStatusValid[pid] = 0;
     gExitStatus[pid] = 0;
}