[launchd-dev] launchd and hdiutils

Thomas Fritz mail at thomasf.com
Fri Dec 11 05:10:43 PST 2009

Hi everybody

I want to use launchd to mount an encrypted dmg image which contains my home directory (AES 256 - enterprise encryption guidelines ) and other directories i want to encrypt like /tmp, etc ...

Therefore i created a launchd.plist which starts hdiutils to attach the image. To be able to enter the password, i directed stdin, stderr and stdout to /dev/console.

Furthermore i modified com.apple.loginwindow.plist to wait until the image is mounted.

Everything seems to work but after I logged in, the images isn't mounted anymore.

Does anyone has an idea how to solve this problem ?

By the way, which key derivation algorithm is used to derive the encryption key from the password.

Kind regards

Thomas Fritz