[launchd-dev] Having issue with launchAgents

Quinn eskimo1 at apple.com
Thu Jan 22 02:21:00 PST 2009

At 12:13 +0530 22/1/09, Arjun SM wrote:
>   I have created a custom Menulet  which i have made it as a
>launchAgent . The problem i am facing is after installation if i
>logout and login again my Menulet doesn't come up at all.

You're running on 10.5.x, right?  The symptoms you describe almost
make it sound like you're testing on 10.4.x (launchd agents don't
work in a useful way prior to 10.5).

Beyond that, I suggest you start with something simple.  I installed
the following plist on my 10.5.6 machine and it worked just fine.
So, start from that, and mutate it towards what you've got, and see
what causes it to stop working.

$ cat /Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.textedit.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>com.apple.textedit</string>
	<key>Program</key>
	<string>/Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit</string>
	<key>RunAtLoad</key>
         <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

S+E
--
Quinn "The Eskimo!"                    <http://www.apple.com/developer/>
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware