[launchd-dev] Launch daemon 0n-Demand on USB Connection/Write

Kiran B Kiran.b at robosoftin.com
Wed Jun 3 00:45:09 PDT 2009

Hello,

 From the recent posts in "launchd-dev" lists, it is evident that
launchd does not yet support launching of processes based on USB
device getting connected.

I have a requirement to launch a daemon whenever a device with
specific VendorID is connected.

I am OK even if the daemon gets launched for any device getting
connected via USB. In that case, the daemon shall ensure that it is
the right device on which it is interested in. In other case it may
terminate.

I am also curious to know whether a daemon can be launched whenever
the connected device writes any data on the USB port. (Eg: User
interaction with the device would make the device write on USB).

However I am satisfied that there is no direct means to achieve any of
these. Correct me if I am wrong.
In that case, I would like to know what would be the best approach to
achieve this. I would like to know any work around if it exists.

The requirement is for 10.4 and above. However, I may be able to
persuade the concerned to make that 10.5 in case this can only be
achieved in 10.5.

I did look for the same in Net. I could find that it was mentioned
that it is not possible, I could not get any suggestion on the best
approach to be followed with the available infrastructure.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Kiran
Robosoft Technologies - Come home to Technology

Disclaimer: This email may contain confidential material. If you were not an intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all copies. Emails to and from our network may be logged and monitored. This email and its attachments are scanned for virus by our scanners and are believed to be safe. However, no warranty is given that this email is free of malicious content or virus.