[launchd-dev] LaunchAgents folder permissions

Quinn eskimo1 at apple.com
Fri May 29 09:24:38 PDT 2009

At 9:11 -0400 29/5/09, Peter Alshuth wrote:
>Unfortunately, the 'Repair Disk Permissions' of the Disk Utility
>doesn't seem to change the permissions bit back to its original
>values of this folder.

Well this part is a bug IMO.  Disk Utility should repair this.
Please file a bug report.

<http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/>

Beyond that, I don't have any great suggestions.  You wrote:

At 9:11 -0400 29/5/09, Peter Alshuth wrote:
>Should my installer always check for the correct default permissions
>of /Library/LaunchAgents & /Library/LaunchDaemons and change it back
>in case they were altered [...]?

This is a really bad idea.  If the default permissions change, your
application becomes part of the problem not part of the solution.

OTOH, detecting this damage, reporting it to the user, with a URL to
click that leads to a support article on your site that describes the
problem and the solution... that might be a good way to go.

S+E
--
Quinn "The Eskimo!"                    <http://www.apple.com/developer/>
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware