[launchd-dev] Daemon logging and Snow Leopard

Thomas Clement thomascl at free.fr
Wed Sep 23 05:15:00 PDT 2009

It seems there are some inconsistencies about daemon logging on Snow
Leopard:
- asl(3) logs to the log database and system.log
- NSLog logs only to system.log
- printf logs nowhere

The documentation states that NSLog uses asl(3), however these logs do
not appear in the log database.

Also the "Daemons and Agents" tech note states:
> Logging With printf
> In Mac OS X 10.5 and later, launchd will capture any output to
> stdout and stderr and redirect it to ASL.

However I fail to see any printf reaching the log database or even
system.log.
Why is that?

Thanks,
Thomas