[launchd-dev] bootstrap_create_service is only allowed against legacy Mach jobs

Dave MacLachlan dmaclach at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:32:00 PDT 2010

I'm playing with some example code from Mac OS X Internals, and I'm
getting:

2010-08-25 12:06:53 PM com.apple.launchd[497]
(0x10f7c0.simple_ipc_serve[1322]) bootstrap_create_service() is only
allowed against legacy Mach jobs: com.osxbook.FactorialServer

I took a quick look through the sources and it appears the only way to
get a "legacy" job is to have job_new_via_mach_init called in
launchd_core_logic.c.... interestingly nothing seems to call it.

Is there anyway to get this running on 10.5 the way that Amit
originally coded it, or does bootstrap_create_service just not work
anymore? This is purely for learning... not shipping this.

(Note this is 10.5 I'm running on right now).

Cheers,
Dave