[launchd-dev] Stopping and unloading an agent from root-privileged application

Quinn "The Eskimo!" eskimo1 at apple.com
Mon Jan 10 03:36:38 PST 2011

On 7 Jan 2011, at 14:02, eveningnick eveningnick wrote:

> yes, i tried and it works on 10.6 and doesn't work on 10.5

This is related to changes that we made to the bootstrap namespace in Mac OS X 10.6.  Specifically, we flattened all of the bootstrap namespaces for a given user.  The best way to think about this is to look at Figure 3 of TN2083 [1].  In that diagram, each pink box has been merged into its parent blue box.  This means that there's only one bootstrap namespace for user, so it now makes sense to map from a user ID to a bootstrap namespace.

While this is clearly a bug in the technote, one important mitigating factor is that, if you follow the design advice from TN2083, everything will work on 10.5 and 10.6 (and probably future systems).  One day I'll get around to update TN2083 for 10.6, but today is not that day.

S+E
--
Quinn "The Eskimo!"                    <http://www.apple.com/developer/>
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

[1] <http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/technotes/tn2005/tn2083.html>