[launchd-dev] Starting/Stoping Apache HTTPD outside System Preferences

Luke Scott luke at cywh.com
Tue Mar 29 11:35:31 PDT 2011

The plist file for the included version of Apache HTTPD contains a key
called SHAuthorizationRight which is set to system.preferences. Because of
this key System Preferences can start/stop the service without being root. I
cannot find any documentation on this key.

Is there any way to do this with my own plist and application? Basically I
want to role my own version of httpd and create a launchd plist and be able
to start/stop the service from a menu driven application. It needs to be
able to do this without escalating it's privileges or entering a password.

If there isn't a way, what are my (secure) alternatives, without entering a
password, if any?

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Luke