[launchd-dev] Adding KeepAlive in LauchDaemon plist

Karthikeyan M karthikeyan.mac at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 07:14:23 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am trying to create a Launch Daemon for EnCase binary file. I have to
add KeepAlive to the Launch Daemon plist. The process should be alive
even if it exists normally (with exit 0) or crashes with error.

I tried adding <key>KeepAlive</key> in the Launch Daemon(below) created
but this keeps on running the Program Arguments resulting in multiple
process of the same binary.

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
    "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>KeepAlive</key>
    <true/>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.guidancesoftware.encase</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
    <string>/usr/local/encase/Encase</string>
    <string>start</string>
    </array>
    <key>QueueDirectories</key>
    <array/>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
    <key>WatchPaths</key>
    <array/>
    </dict>
    </plist>

Someone help me in changing the LauchDaemon plist so that the process
kickstart if the Encase process exits?

Thanks & Regards,
Karthikeyan M