[launchd-dev] Facing problem with launch daemon on logout

Quinn "The Eskimo!" eskimo1 at apple.com
Fri Jun 1 03:20:26 PDT 2012

Earlier you wrote:

> I have a plist file in /System/Library/LaunchDaemon.This plist file invokes a shell script which starts my daemon process

You have to point otool at the path to your daemon's executable, not at its launchd plist or the launchd directory.  So, what executable does your shell script launch?  And what does otool say if you run it against that?

Also, as a third party vendor if you shouldn't be installing stuff in "/System/Library/LaunchDaemons".  Rather, you should use "/Library/LaunchDaemons".  We have a habit of blowing away all the stuff in the /System hierarchy when we update the OS, so if you want your daemon to persist across upgrades you need to put it in the /Library hierarchy.

Share and Enjoy
--
Quinn "The Eskimo!"                    <http://www.apple.com/developer/>
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware