[launchd-dev] SMJobBless returning error 4098

Eric Gorr mailist at ericgorr.net
Wed May 30 07:45:45 PDT 2012

I am trying to install a secure helper tool with SMJobBless. When it fails and before calling SMJobBless, I am calling SMJobRemove because I need to remove an older version of the tool - the removal succeeds. SMJobBless is returning an error code of 4098. The NSError object is only telling me that "The operation couldn't be completed. There was an error in the CodeSigning subsystem."

If I rerun my code, the SMJobBless function works. I would assume this is because it was removed previously, but why would it have not worked the first time? I can then communicate with the tool and everything functions normally. Observing that everything is functioning normally, I believe I can be certain that I am meeting the five requirements for SMJobBless as described in the documentation.

If I increment the version of my tool and try again, SMJobRemove will work, but, again, SMJobBless will return the error code 4098.

If it matters, I am using OS X 10.7.3.