[launchd-dev] Starting Agents in specific GUI sessions

NuSkooler nuskooler at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 08:33:41 PDT 2013

Thanks for the reply --

Our product is a Parental Controls product. The kernel module is
responsible for traffic capture that, if it's interesting is then proxied
to/from the user space (running as root on *nix, system on Windows, etc.)
daemon. The daemon in turn occasionally needs to display UI to users. A
user may be in any graphical session on the box (e.g. Windows or OS X Fast
User Switching, Screen Sharing, ...). The UI itself is more than just
notifications. We allow decisions to be made by the user, prompt to login
to our product in some situations, etc.

The "backup plan" on OS X is to use the /Library/LaunchAgents plist system
so start agents at user login. This works for most of the cases, but there
are times such as in our update process that we need to stop all agents ->
update them -> restart them.

Hope that helps clarify,

Bryan