[launchd-dev] Loading LaunchAgents for users in postinstall

Hofi hofione at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 14:11:51 PDT 2015

It is really a good news that

$ launchctl bootstrap gui/$uid /path/to/plist

will work also, thanks for this info!

I assume they need to load the agent into a GUI session

"though I'm not sure why you're chroot(2)ing."

In some cases we also needed to use chroot to get loaded in the correct user context with the appropriate uid/gui

Although

$ launchctl bsexec "$pid" launchctl load -S Aqua "$AGENT”

and

$ launchctl bsexec "$pid” open /Applications/Your.app

will load into the correct context with the perfect rights, but

$ launchctl bsexec "$pid” /PathToMyExecutable

will start your executable as user root, so generally we always use the chroot approach.

Hofi – Istvan Hoffmann
http://hofione.wix.com/memyselfandi