[launchd-dev] Strange XPC errors in log

Rainer Brockerhoff rainer at brockerhoff.net
Fri Mar 11 09:57:51 PST 2016

Hi!

I'm debugging an XPC service with the ultimate aim to self-update one of
my apps.

The app itself is sandboxed, the service is not (which is OK as it's
Developer-ID signed).

So, the service runs well, downloads and installs the update if
necessary, then launches the new version while quitting the old. All
this works well, too, and I plan to release it soon, but...

However, I see two strange errors in the Console log:

1) on my first call to the XPC service:
... com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]:
(com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.<appName>.45747) Ignoring lax
activation attempt for unsupported domain: <serviceBundleId>

2) when launching the updated app:
... com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]:
(com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.(premature birth).45747) Could not
resolve origin of domain. XPC services in this domain's bundle will not
be bootstrapped: error = 3: No such process, taint = (untainted)

This happens regardless of the value of "JoinExistingSession" in the XPC
service's Info.plist. Note that both PIDs are the same, too!

Any hints welcomed. TIA,
--
Rainer Brockerhoff  <rainer at brockerhoff.net>
Belo Horizonte, Brazil