[libdispatch-dev] Solaris portability

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Fri Nov 6 13:44:26 PST 2009

On Nov 6, 2009, at 7:00 AM, Joakim Johansson wrote:

> One thought I played with, was to build libdispatch without support for event sources (except perhaps for timers), would that be something that would seem useful to others on the list (it would be analogous to disabling the support for blocks on platforms not supporting it).

I can see it being "sort of useful" to separate out the support of sources from the rest of the dispatch machinery on one hand, but on the other hand I can also see how this would lead to a rather neutered libdispatch and also make it less than clear just what the "official grand central dispatch API" looked like since different platforms were choosing to support different subsets.  That would have a chilling effect on application adoption since they could no longer assume what "API compatibility" meant on any given platform.

I would far prefer to see an OS port delayed and then come out with support for the full API, including blocks, than see support arrive sooner but piecemeal.

- Jordan