[libdispatch-dev] libdispatch port to FreeBSD (was: [libdispatch-changes] [27] trunk/src)

Robert Watson robert at fledge.watson.org
Mon Sep 14 13:05:10 PDT 2009

Dear all--

I have committed an initial autoconf/automake/libtool build framework to
libdispatch svn, and a first cut at conditionally compiling Apple-specific
pieces of libdispatch.  This allows libdispatch to build on both FreeBSD and
Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Some notes for FreeBSD hackers:

- Several kqueue extensions (EVFILT_USER, NOTE_TRIGGER, EV_RECEIPT, and
   EV_DISPATCH) are required in the FreeBSD kernel, and hopefully will go into
   the FreeBSD tree in the next couple of days.

- Blocks are definitely not yet supported -- there seems to be a lot of
   interest, so I'm optimistic.  As compilers aren't my forte, any assistance
   in this department would be most appreciated. :-)

- On FreeBSD, there is no support for Apple's pthread work queue primitive, so
   I'm using the fallback worker code in libdispatch.  The FreeBSD kernel
   community needs to have a conversation about the right way to address this
   requirement, but in the mean time the worker model should be fine.

- There are also some kqueue events present in FreeBSD but not in Mac OS X;
   these may require tweaks to libdispatch to fully support by GCD-aware
   applications using these FreeBSD events.

- I have developed and tested on a 32-bit Intel system; the comments below on
   -march on Mac OS X likely apply for FreeBSD/amd64 users as well.

Some notes for Mac OS X hackers:

- For now, you will need to hand-trim the -march line from src/Makefile.
   This should be fixed soon by some further autoconf work.

- When I use the externally-built dylib on Snow Leopard, test programs spin.
   This may be due to interference between the libSystem dispatch code and the
   dylib -- possibly forcing the use of pthread_create_key rather than reserved
   keys would help.

- I have not attempted to configure/build for Leopard as yet, but this change
   should make that a lot easier.  EVFILT_USER is likely the biggest obstacle.

Some notes for Linux hackers:

- The lack of kqueue support is the critical obstacle in a port to Linux.  It
   may be that a kqueue emulation library based on epoll (or even libevent)
   could fill this gap.  If someone wants to look at this, pay very careful
   attention to kqueue semantics, as libdispatch relies on them heavily.

Please consider this a work-in-progress -- don't be surprised when it doesn't
build, let alone work.  :-)

Finally: this work would not have been possible without the support of Jordan
Hubbard, Kevin Van Vechten, Dave Zarzycki, Bill Siegrist, and Apple.  I am
surprised by how easily the porting has gone so far -- it's a credit to their
careful planning and quality of implementation that it has gone so smoothly.

Thanks also to Peter O'Gorman and Colin Percival for their assistance with
auto*, my nemesis.

With any luck, there will be more good porting news to report in the near
future!

Thanks,

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory