[libdispatch-dev] Does GCD has a "global view" of all running processes?

Matt Wright matt at sysctl.co.uk
Tue Sep 15 09:46:31 PDT 2009

Hey Richard,

In terms of languages, you've got two options for dispatching work to
GCD. Either via function pointers or blocks. I would guess that with
function pointers you can pretty much map any language you want onto
it, bindings for perl, python, ruby, etc wouldn't be that hard. If you
want to use blocks then the current implementations exist as patches
on top of GCC/Clang. Even then, they've only been successfully used on
Snow Leopard (and Leopard, to an extent).

There are some links you can have a browse of:

http://thirdcog.eu/pwcblocks/ - "Programming with C Blocks"
http://www.mikeash.com/?page=pyblog/friday-qa-2008-12-26.html - Mike
Ash's Blocks Q&A

On top of that, it's worth reading the concurrency programming guide
on ADC.

Hope that helps slightly,

Matt