[libdispatch-dev] libdispatch port to FreeBSD (was: [libdispatch-changes] [27] trunk/src)

Robert Watson robert at fledge.watson.org
Tue Sep 15 14:42:28 PDT 2009

University of Cambridge

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2009, at 1:05 PM, Robert Watson wrote:
>
>> I have committed an initial autoconf/automake/libtool build framework to
>> libdispatch svn, and a first cut at conditionally compiling Apple-specific
>> pieces of libdispatch.  This allows libdispatch to build on both FreeBSD
>> and Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
>
> Awesome news, thanks Robert!
>
> Since I'm sure the question is on everyone's minds, could you say a thing or
> two about the functionality of the "port" at this stage?  Does this simply
> compile but not run, or is there a limited subset of APIs which are already
> callable?

Hi Jordan--

The quick answer is: yes, libdispatch now runs on FreeBSD.

The qualified answer: Stacey and I are currently working to review/test the
kernel kqueue changes required to make the libdispatch svn code run properly
on FreeBSD.  We hope to get at least the first kernel patch, if not all of
them, into FreeBSD 9-CURRENT tonight.

This is all without blocks, and without pthread workqueues.

I've also learned from Kevin that the FreeBSD porting work appears not to have
broken libdispatch on Snow Leopard, which is pleasing news too :-).

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge