[libdispatch-dev] porting status

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Mon Apr 11 11:12:01 PDT 2011

On Apr 11, 2011, at 2:32 AM, Joakim Johansson wrote:

> Thanks Mark, working quite nicely now!
>
> For completeness, below are the latest results from Solaris 10/x86_64 also using clang (libkqueue r469, libpthread_workqueue r113, libdispatch r197 - current ’trunk’) - all tests succeeded.

Hi guys,

Just out of curiosity, is this going to essentially be the "preferred interface" (libpthread_workqueue + libkqueue) going forward for non-MacOSX platforms?  Don't get me wrong:  Anything which requires the fewest contortions in libdispatch to work is great for us since it won't "cruft up" the code with lots of #ifdefs, but at the same time if there are better ways to plumb at least the pthread_workqueue stuff such that we can be more agile on other platforms, it would be interesting to at least *have* that architectural discussion.  Such discussion may or may not lead anywhere, but it seems like we're starting to gain traction on other platforms and it makes me curious as to how well we're "impedance matched" to them.  Any comments on that?

Thanks,

- Jordan