[libdispatch-dev] porting status

Mark Heily mark at heily.com
Tue Apr 12 21:03:53 PDT 2011

On 04/11/2011 02:12 PM, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Just out of curiosity, is this going to essentially be the "preferred
> interface" (libpthread_workqueue + libkqueue) going forward for
> non-MacOSX platforms?  Don't get me wrong:  Anything which requires the
> fewest contortions in libdispatch to work is great for us since it won't
> "cruft up" the code with lots of #ifdefs, but at the same time if there
> are better ways to plumb at least the pthread_workqueue stuff such that
> we can be more agile on other platforms, it would be interesting to at
> least *have* that architectural discussion.  Such discussion may or may
> not lead anywhere, but it seems like we're starting to gain traction on
> other platforms and it makes me curious as to how well we're "impedance
> matched" to them.  Any comments on that?

Hi Jordan,

It would be nice to simplify the process of building and distributing
libdispatch.

I would like to see libdispatch import a private copy of the stable releases
of libkqueue and libpthread_workqueue. They could be placed in a contrib/
subdirectory, for example. This would allow the libdispatch autoconf script
to "solve" any missing dependencies by building the additional libraries
inside of the contrib/ subdirectory. The extra libraries could be combined
with libdispatch to produce a single libdispatch.so file.

Since libkqueue/libpthread_workqueue are under active development, the
autoconf script should also allow you to specify the path to an external
library by passing --with-libkqueue and --with-libpthread-workqueue options.

Regards,

  - Mark