[libdispatch-dev] libdispatch-187.5 (coming soon!)

Mark Heily mark at heily.com
Thu Aug 4 20:47:40 PDT 2011

I just checked out http://opensource.apple.com, and was excited to see
the sources for 10.7 have been released. Unfortunately, it was just a
tease as the sources for libdispatch are not available yet. I know that
there are folks within Apple working on merging the changes from the
Apple private branch into the public MacOSforge branch, and I'm
wondering how that is going.

Would it be possible to get the unmodified libdispatch sources from the
10.7 build so I could try to put together a "portability patchset" that
would add the Autoconf stuff and everything needed to build on other
platforms? This would probably be easier and faster than having someone
at Apple backport the changes from 10.7 into the MacOSforge repo. Think
of it as "forward porting" the changes from MacOSforge branch instead of
backporting changes the other direction.

I believe this is the methodology that OpenSSH has used successfully,
where the core OpenSSH team develops strictly for OpenBSD, and a
separate team maintains a "portable OpenSSH" branch using a pile of
patches that are applied to the upstream releases.

As a suggestion, a very kind person from Apple could upload the raw 10.7
sources into the SVN tags directory at this URL:

    http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/libdispatch/tags/OSX_10_7

Thanks a lot!

  - Mark