[libdispatch-dev] Lion libdispatch sources posted & next steps for macosforge repo

Mark Heily mark at heily.com
Mon Aug 22 18:51:05 PDT 2011

Hi Daniel,

On 08/22/2011 02:32 PM, Daniel A. Steffen wrote:
> Hi Mark,

(snip)

>> There's another suspicious comment in the same header file that reads
>>
>>   "/* WORKQ_HIGH/DEFAULT/LOW_PRIOQUEUE are the only valid values */"
>>
>> My guess is that WORKQ_BG_PRIOQUEUE will also be a valid value.
>
> yes, it would be helpful if you could file a bug at
> bugreporter.apple.com about this so that we can fix the comments for
> the next OS release.

Filed bug #10004102.

(snip)

> I have imported the Lion source drop onto a Lion branch in the
> macosforge libdispatch repo, and have also added our Lion testsuite
> there, though that is not hooked up to the buildsystem yet (hoping to
> finish that up today). The Lion testsuite is significantly more
> extensive, and covers both existing and new Lion libdispatch
> features. Unfortunately we had never pulled in any of the portability
> changes from the macosforge testsuite, so it will require some
> porting to run on other platforms.

Rather than maintain our own custom portability shims, I'd like to
suggest that we import a private copy of libbsd:

    http://libbsd.freedesktop.org/wiki/

It provides things like strlcpy(), fgetln() and arc4random() that are
BSD in origin. I've used this library successfully in the Linux port of
libdispatch.

> I'll get onto integrating your patches once I have the testsuite
> building with the auto* buildsystem.
>
> Ideally I'd also like to know what fixes we need to build on FreeBSD
> before replacing trunk with the Lion branch.

I've tested my patchset on FreeBSD, and as of r12 the patched version of
libdispatch 187.5 compiles cleanly on both Linux and FreeBSD.

Regards,

  - Mark