[libdispatch-dev] What's with this sigsuspend stuff?

Daniel A. Steffen dsteffen at apple.com
Tue Jul 5 00:16:12 PDT 2011

On Jul 4, 2011, at 11:43 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 07/05/2011 03:03 AM, Dave Zarzycki wrote:
>> On Mac OS X and iOS, some signals are only deliverable on the thread
>> that they were generated from (SIGILL, SIGFPE, SIGBUS, SIGSEGV, etc),
>> therefore, we shouldn't mask those off. Someday, if/when the Mac OS X
>> / iOS kernel supports delivering those signals to any available
>> thread, then we can fully mask every signal on GCD threads.
>
> That would not be POSIX-compliant.

standards compliance is irrelevant to GCD threads, anything that happens in a GCD workitem is by definition outside of the standard (the execution environment was instantiated in a manner not covered by the standard) and cannot be expected to behave in a compliant fashion, and GCD may actually be able to derive important performance benefits from that fact in the future (standards-compliance is expensive).